Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

how hot is too hot inside hushbox

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
REGNAD

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:38 am    Post subject: how hot is too hot inside hushbox Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
as you all know my 1252 is LOUD. i built a hush box with very tight demencions knowing that it wouldn't vent heat as well but i didn't want a monster. It doesn't touch at the highes point but its close. the idea was that air would have to enter the front and exit every where else. I just replaced my intake and exhaust fans, and upped duct size to 6" on intake. (still reduces to 4" hole through ceiling right in front of intake though) I have a 90 cfm ball bearing fan on exhaust and 250 cfm on intake (eventually replacing exhaust with same intake fan); my noise level went down quiet a bit replacing the cheap crapper fan exhaust by the way. My question is, what kind of temps should i expect inside hushbox? where should my temp probe be placed?

hush front intake.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  47.64 KB
 Viewed:  7328 Time(s)

hush front intake.JPG

hush side intake.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  40.91 KB
 Viewed:  7337 Time(s)

hush side intake.JPG

kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO: Any temperature more than a degree or two above ambient room temperature is too high. You need to be evacuating the hot air our of the hushbox fast enough such that the hot air doesn't pool. So if you pull the air out fast enough the temp will the same as the room temp. This is the way my hushbox works. The PJ actually runs cooler with the hushbox closed and sucking air than with no hushbox at all.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
stefuel

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From a temperature point of view, I'm not sure if sucking or blowing Wink will make any difference.
However blowing in clean filtered air will keep the projector clean while sucking air out also pulls in dust and dirt.
I built a custom cabinet to house all my theater equipment. It originally had a fan on the top to pull the warm air out.
I quickly discovered that this was not the thing to do as it created a lower pressure in the cabinet resulting in dust being pulled in around every knob and button. Within two months, the rack had to be stripped and every piece of equipment opened and cleaned out. Maintaining + pressure in the cabinet solved the problem.

Card carrying member of the AVS chain gang.
REGNAD

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how about temp probe location? A hushbox may be able to keep a static temp around the pj but it wont keep parts from producing heat. Right now my probe is right next to the factory probe on the exhaust fan located by the buttons on top. Kind of inside the pj. The warm internal air is blowing right by the probe. Maybe this is why my temps read so high. its like everything i do i still read around 30 deg. higher inside pj than out. Should i place the prob outside the pj nearer the hushbox exhaust vent? And/or remove sealing material around the front shoulder of pj alowing fresh cool air to enter the front power supply and around the sides of case?

hush front foam.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  30.49 KB
 Viewed:  7266 Time(s)

hush front foam.JPG

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: