Black-chinned Hummingbird, Archilochus alexandri, male

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

ROBERT L OZIBKO

Supporting Member
Black-chinned Hummingbird, Archilochus alexandri, male.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

The spread of the tail and the wings are very nice and difficult to get. Also excellent eye contact. Agree with BAL Land , it looks over-sharpened , or perhaps suffering from diffraction artifact (Aperture F20). Pleasant image overall.

Last edited:
Amazing pictures!
My technical critique is the bright halo around the bird, that comes from post processing, and some oversharpening.
Have you used Nikon Capture to push the shadows?

I really like the image; as others have mentioned, there is some haloing around the bird that appears to come from over sharpening the image. Great capture…I think the processing of the image just needs to be scaled back a tad.

I like the point of view as others have said, and the wing position is great. It's not the usual hummingbird photo which makes this interesting.

Since the wings are frozen at 1/250th of a second I'm guessing that flash was used. Am I correct? To my way of thinking it almost looks like the flash was a bit too hot, would it have worked with about a stop less flash?

I like the point of view as others have said, and the wing position is great. It's not the usual hummingbird photo which makes this interesting.

Since the wings are frozen at 1/250th of a second I'm guessing that flash was used. Am I correct? To my way of thinking it almost looks like the flash was a bit too hot, would it have worked with about a stop less flash?
This is an answer re multi-flash in general and not in reference the above image. I hope you forgive me for that. I have been doing multi-flash for several years and found it very time consuming and difficult to get all the flashes adjusted "just right". I use 5 flashes and it requires a lot of tweaking to get a nice image.

You did well in capturing these. High enough shutter speed to freeze wing blur, tail feathers nicely fanned out (not often one sees them doing that). Exposure, focus, all good.
Something is not quite right in the processing of the image here. Looking closely at the outer edges of the bird against the blue sky, there is a lighter blue halo at the edges. This has happened to me before as well, and I'm still not quite sure what causes this. It could have something to do with how you processed the highlights versus the shadows and contrast and exposure. Sharpening may also be somewhat responsible. Cropping a lot, added to heavy post processing could also be responsible.

Compare the end results with the originals. If the halo effect is not seen in the original image I would process again from the beginning while watching for the halo effect to show up during the process.

Back