T-55M6

jet_17_49

T-55M6  

67 members have voted

1. 1. T-55M6 yay or nay

• Yay
    • Nay

Caesar on Twitter: "Russian T-55M6, it has 6 pairs of road ...

Summary:

An elongated T-55 with the turret of a T-72B m.1989

Description:

At some point during the early post-Soviet period, the Omsk machine factory sought to appeal to armed forces operating the T-54/55 which for budgetary reasons could not replace them. This culminated in the creation of an extensive modernization package for the T-55, the T-55M6, unveiled in 2001, which among other things included a heavy redesign of the tank's hull and the complete replacement of its turret. It turned out to be too extensive for its own good, being even more expensive to buy than a secondhand T-72, and this combined with the fact that the demonstrator was only partially built and lacking some key advertised technologies, prevented it from becoming a commercial success. The demonstrator remains the sole existing example of the tank built to date.

The T-55M6 as it was advertised featured the following modifications:

1. A modified T-72B turret with the accompanying 2A46 125mm cannon and 1A40 FCS (the T-64B's 1A33 and the T-80U's 1A45 were offered as alternatives)

2. An elongated hull with an additional pair of road wheels allowing for the installation of a redesigned composite armor UFP

3. A 780hp engine to compensate for all the increased weight

4. Full Kontakt 5 coverage

5. A Black Eagle-ish bustle autoloader with blowout panels and a capacity of 22 rounds (not installed on the demonstrator)

6. A salad of road wheels including some sourced from the T-72 and T-80

Specs:

1. General:

- Mass: 43.4T

- Crew: 3

2. Mobility:

- Engine: V-46-5MS (780hp)

- Transmission: identical to other T-55s

- Max road speed: +50kph/-7kph

3. Protection

- Turret armor identical to T-72B m.1989, composite+ERA UFP of unspecified composition, blowout panels for bustle autoloader

4. Weaponry

- 1x 2A46 125mm cannon

- 1x 12.7mm HMG

- 1x PKT 7.62mm GPMG

Potential role in game:

Being a horrific amalgamation of parts and polar attributes such as the firepower and FCS of a T-72B, a bustle autoloader and the mobility of a WW2 medium tank, the T-55M6 would likely be a challenge to balance and would probably not be very fun to play at a BR where it isn't outright invincible, but I'd like to see it being introduced to the Soviet tech tree anyway just for the sake of its novelty value if not for anything else (also so that the T59G can have a sibling)

Gallery:

Spoiler

1362972403_a0109941_498af0477ebe4.jpg

1362972154_TkoPZ060-400x319.jpg

1362972139_TkoPZ061-200x159.jpg

Sources:

https://en.topwar.ru/25222-osnovnoy-tank-iz-srednego-modernizaciya-t-55.html

https://crib-blog.blogspot.com/p/t-series-tank-variants.html?m=1

Edited by jet_17_49
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 2
medal medal

+1 So cursed, yet I also kind of like it. I think it would make a good non tech tree vehicle though I think it's Br will be highly dependent of the hull protection of the UFP at this point because if it's a similar amount for say a T-72A for example then I think it can stay at a Br of 9.7 since the mobility would be inferior to the T-72B but if it has less than even the likes of the T-64A then it's harder to say what Br it would be at. Also this kind of reminds me of the Ukrainian Frankenstein between a T-64 and T-55, but compared to that this is a much better upgrade since it's actually an upgrade of an existing hull rather than a downgrade in it's turret just so they could be a cheaper upgrade for potential buyers. 

Edited by de Radio Demon@live
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...