Pure Holland Lop or mixed with mini lop?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildeden

Reaction score
A month or so ago, I bought this doe believing her to be a holland lop. She's just a pet as I was curious to see if I liked the breed.

I recently acquired two holland lops from a reputable breeder which are pedigreed, and now comparing them to my doe, I am beginning to question if she actually is a holland lop? Or maybe the issue is that I just cannot get her to pose. The holland lop pair fall into posing very easil, however, my original doe seems to be physically "stuck" so unless I'm going about posing wrong, I am guessing it's maybe her anatomy (thus not being an actually holland lop). It's like trying to pose one of my meat rabbits into a holland pose!

What do you guys think?

IMG_1736_zps420322d3.jpg

8673742_orig_zps6d6b1edd.jpg

It doesn't matter if she isn't an actual holland lop since I never intended to show her, I'm mostly curious as to what others think :)

She could very well be a Holland. Some just don't pose. She appears to have a decent body and has better ears than a lot of the Hollands we see put on the show table. We have a Holland Lop doe that is "flatter" than this one and she has produced 2 best of breeds in 3 litters and we have 2 very promising bucks out of her now that will see their first show in October

Looks like a holland to me! Her crown seems a little slipped, but she looks very promising with her head and very nice ears. They will keep developing over time! Her type might or might not be there but hard to tell unless she is posed correctly. Some don't naturally have the right build and some do. I don't think it would hurt to show her if you developed interest in it. Some breeders sell the good ones by accident when they are young.

thank you guys! Very good stuff to know. She is very gorgeous. Her flesh feels great and she's got a wonderful personality. Perhaps I will bring her to a show just to see what would happen :)

Peach":3uz6l9bc said:
Looks like a holland to me! Her crown seems a little slipped, but she looks very promising with her head and very nice ears. They will keep developing over time! Her type might or might not be there but hard to tell unless she is posed correctly. Some don't naturally have the right build and some do. I don't think it would hurt to show her if you developed interest in it. Some breeders sell the good ones by accident when they are young.

That's my fear, LOL. I'm scared to sell Fathead over a minor fault...throwing the baby out with the bathwater so to speak. ;)

Most rabbits go through a stage of "uglies" when their bodies are developing in little leaps and bounds and they look completely horrid. :) They may well mature into fine animals but some don't have the patience to wait and find out. Pity for them, but lucky for you!!!!

Ditto with the rest. There are some very nice pet hollands that look very little like a Holland, some just got all the bad looks for the breed it seems (I've got 2 sisters like that lol). It can take forever for them to grow out, another reason they are hard. The lines I have don't peak until 2-3 years old usually, trying to work on cutting that down but it just doesn't seem like I'm getting any where. I've sold them at a year old thinking, that's as good as they are going to get and its barely good for brood so I don't breed'm...sell as pet...another 1-2 years later get pics and they've changed quite a bit in body and filled out which makes me want to kick myself:( Its far and few in between when I have any to go, but its still one of those I'd like to have known that before they left lol.

looks holland to me. I'd have her in my barn...she looks like a nicely patterned broken blue or possibly lilac? not entirely sure on her colouration.

Rebel.Rose.Rabbitry":1uedq5yt said:
I've sold them at a year old thinking, that's as good as they are going to get and its barely good for brood so I don't breed'm...sell as pet...another 1-2 years later get pics and they've changed quite a bit in body and filled out which makes me want to kick myself:( Its far and few in between when I have any to go, but its still one of those I'd like to have known that before they left lol.

She's about 10 months old, so maybe that's why the people sold her so early, figuring she may not improve with whatever they were seeing in her.

Lily is a broken opal. The breeder though she was broken blue. There's a tan ring in there but my photos don't show it well.
IMG_1139_zpsd2c6ff9e.jpg

IMG_1148_zps2d47e887.jpg

The only time she "poses" is when she's in her harness and jumping hurdles.

Hollands don't always posed naturally for people on the table. They want to do whatever they feel like instead :) Most of those natural posers, the breeder worked with them when they were young. I start posing my buns at 2-3 weeks old.

Back