• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID of mystery birds from the Trieste Museum of Natural History (1 Viewer)

I have a part-time job going through the collection of the large collection of bird skins at the Trieste Museum of Natural History, more than 10,000, many of which have not been re-examined since they were first prepared, some of them more than 150 years ago. One of the gems that came to light in the fist batch of bird examined was a Kinglet Calyptura (Calyptura cristata), an species endemic to the coastal rainforest near Rio De Janiero, a species believed to be approaching extinction and for which only 45 other specimens exist in museums around the world.

cc3a.jpg

The specimen is lacking a label and had been misidentified as a Golden-headed Manakin (Pipra erythrocephala)... a species it obviously wasn't!

Quite a few specimens in the collection have incomplete labels, sometimes with no identification, or no locality given. In the days and weeks to come I'll be posting photographs of birds that I've been unable to identify rapidly and for which I'd be grateful for any suggestions that will point me in the right direction.

Here is the first bird. The label says 'Bahia 1883' ... nothing else. It's about the size of a Song Thrush (Turdus philomelos).

mystery_bird1a.jpg

mystery_bird1b.jpg

mystery_bird1c.jpg

That certainly is a quite large bill. Kinda hard one, but I'd say it's a female White-lined Tanager, they do occur in interior Bahia. Although size is just a bit larger.

Very interesting, keep them coming if you have more!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back