New Blue Alps Juniper

MarcelloS

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just finished styling this plant I acquired from a local nursery last year. I have seen it being described as either a Juniperus chinesis or a Juniperu squamata. The trees that I have only have needle type foliage on them (at least for now).
Here is the result I got after styling. Will let it grow over the year and report next year if the growth is vigorous. Being protected after the work for the rest of winter.
The idea of posting it here is to get your feedback. This is only one of the first few trees I have styled.

Attachments

• 86AAA1B2-5FF1-4B27-AD9C-37BC5EA8618B.jpeg
    86AAA1B2-5FF1-4B27-AD9C-37BC5EA8618B.jpeg
    298.7 KB · Views: 106
  • B2CD204E-0AE1-4E7A-9D18-F628D3C42EEB.jpeg
    B2CD204E-0AE1-4E7A-9D18-F628D3C42EEB.jpeg
    379.2 KB · Views: 101

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You picked the right trunk to eliminate!

And even though it's a little big, the weight of it even fits it in well amidst everything else so neat.

When it is more dried out, and the tree is healthy, I would break that jin off at about that guy tie level.

If you need to improve technique, learn.

But don't change your idea!

Well done!

Sorce

MarcelloS

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks @sorce and @Leo in N E Illinois!
Talking about repotting, I have some questions. Understand that doing it now would not be ideal, but I have read (including here) about late summer / early fall reppoting.

IF (and that is a big if) the plant grows vigorously this spring, showing that is has enough to sustain and add (borrowed that sentence from Bonsai Mirai’s Ryan Neil), would a fall reppoting be possible?

The second question is what shape of pot would you use?

To me, the tree is more feminine/delicate than masculine, even though the branches are mostly leaving at 90 degrees or going down. The trunk movement is subtle, and the it is not very thick compared to its height and the canopy.

My idea was an oval. No too shallow, but not deep. Likely an unglazed reddish brown.

Ideas???

MarcelloS

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Would also love to have some constructive criticism, things to change or improve on...

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Toronto, relatively short summers, maybe 100 - 110 days. Relatively few days over 32 C, over 90 F, I would suggest that repotting can happen anytime after summer solstice. Tree will be past the most tender of spring growth, definitely repot before end of August so the tree has time to harden off new roots before winter. If you repot later, September or October, protection from extreme cold is necessary. I usually start repotting my junipers middle of July. But like you, I have shorter cooler summers than much of the USA.

We can get away with it, those in California could not use my summer repotting schedule.

MarcelloS

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Toronto, relatively short summers, maybe 100 - 110 days. Relatively few days over 32 C, over 90 F, I would suggest that repotting can happen anytime after summer solstice. Tree will be past the most tender of spring growth, definitely repot before end of August so the tree has time to harden off new roots before winter. If you repot later, September or October, protection from extreme cold is necessary. I usually start repotting my junipers middle of July. But like you, I have shorter cooler summers than much of the USA.

We can get away with it, those in California could not use my summer repotting schedule.

Thanks.

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's a good start, and now you can lét it recover.
Are you a member of the Toronto bonsai society? They seem to have a fairly active club, great shows!

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Just finished styling this plant I acquired from a local nursery last year. I have seen it being described as either a Juniperus chinesis or a Juniperu squamata. The trees that I have only have needle type foliage on them (at least for now).
Here is the result I got after styling. Will let it grow over the year and report next year if the growth is vigorous. Being protected after the work for the rest of winter.
The idea of posting it here is to get your feedback. This is only one of the first few trees I have styled.
Repotting this year after a major styling would be pretty aggressive. Much safer to wait until next spring.

MarcelloS

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's a good start, and now you can lét it recover.
Are you a member of the Toronto bonsai society? They seem to have a fairly active club, great shows!
Not a member, yet. Did go to their show last fall. Some very beautiful trees.

Top Bottom