Pinus banksiana 'Tear Drop'

Picea omorika 'Stodel'

Abies concolor 'Szuma'

Dax

Comments (10)

• gardener365
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Abies x phanerolepis (fastigiate form un-named)

Pinus mugo 'Bierun'

• severnside
    11 years ago

Looking supreme Dax. The Pinus aristata 'Elko Run', I Googled images and there's loads of your graft pictures (the whole Dax grafting resource is there if one but looks) but no bigger specimens. Did you find this one?

• gardener365
    Original Author
    11 years ago

shastensis found it in the city of Elko Run, Nevada, while Glacier-End went and retrieved it.

Tanks,

Dax

• sluice
    11 years ago

Nice!! I like the Pinus banksiana 'Tear Drop'. Also the Picea omorika 'Stodel' on a standard.

• maple_grove_gw
    11 years ago

Very impresseive as always, Dax. I especially like 'Hrobecek', the unnamed phanerolepis and 'Stodel'. I take it the latter is a miniature. I'm unfamiliar with it - any more information?

I love these posts of yours because we get to see a lot of rare material, and also because we get to learn more about the propagation process - a picture's worth a thousand words as they say. A couple more questions if you don't mind...the plants in 1 gal pots - were they potted up recently? Also, I see you have the new grafts under shade cloth - do they all stay under shade the first year? What % shade cloth do you use?

Alex

• gardener365
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sluicer, champion.

Hi Alex, I guessed at the time of grafting that 'Stodel' was pretty darn miniature. Unfortunately when I trade with some folks I simply say, 'give me a few of your favorite omorika's, etc-' and then I graft them. Now is as they call it, 'the waiting game'.

I potted those within the past couple days, yes. (You) can pot them up anytime you bring them out of the hoophouse pretty well thru the beginning of July. The plants need at least three months, prior, to settling into winter. In climates that have very mild winters, the window stays open to infinity. I wait until I see what dies, then I pot them up (approximately) two months from the time I bring them out of my greenhouse.

50% shade cloth. I keep them under shade cloth for two plus years and then they are ready for full sun. The truth of the matter is that I also plant 1-year grafts like that little 'Stodel', and as long as I'm diligent to water once or twice a week, I rarely lose (a graft). Watering is the difference between a gardener and a non-gardener.

Dax

• clement_2006
    11 years ago

Cedrus libani 'Camie'
    My broom.
    Clement

• baxswoh
    11 years ago

Very nice Dax. How do you determine when a graft of miniature will provide enough nourishment to completely remove the root stock from above it? Scions from miniatures against a 1/4" root stock look perilous. What is your guide that all is stable?

• gardener365
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Nice Clement. That broom was way up, glad you got it successfully grafted.

Baxz, I will slowly remove the understock (growth) over a period of 3-4 years with a miniature.

Dax

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    11 years ago

Hey Dax, Youve got some bomb cultivars! Whens the store open?
    AL

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH