Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maple_grove_cr

Conifer Grafts

maple_grove_gw
11 years ago

Hi all,

Thought I'd share a few grafting success photos. This year was my first grafting attempt. The hit rate was lower than I'd like, but I did get a few:

Picea pungens 'Montana Ave'

Picea abies 'Stoner #2' Surprisingly put on a decent amount of growth this year, relatively speaking. Does anyone know if this is this one is the same as P. abies 'Stoner'?

Pinus parviflora 'Toyo nishiki'

Picea pungens 'Wendy'

Picea glauca 'Pendula'

Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Spiralis'

Picea pungens 'Spring blast' This one hasn't pushed yet, but looks otherwise okay. Hopefully it'll push next year - any thoughts?

-Alex

Comments (8)

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    11 years ago

WOW...Way to go Alex, look good!

• harv2016
    11 years ago

Probably a good thing I don't know how to graft or I'd have them every where. You'll love Picea Pungens 'Wendy', a great plant

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

Nice work!

Josh

• gardener365
    11 years ago

There's a Stoner and a Stoner #2. I know 'Stoner' is a small mound. I've never seen a Stoner #2 so can't comment.

Good job grafting.

Dax

• maple_grove_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Al, Harv, Josh, and Dax. Appreciate the info Dax, good to know that the suffix means something.

• sluice
    11 years ago

Congrats Alex!

Your take rate should continue to improve year over year, as you find out what works and what doesn't.

So long as the pungens scion stays alive on the understock, there's a good chance it will take off next year, or even the year after that. I'll post a few pics of delayed grafts soon for reference.

• jimbobfeeny
    11 years ago

Where can you get decent understock? do you have to grow it from seed, or do you just buy seedlings? Just curious.

• maple_grove_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Sluice, for encourgament and good advice.

Jimbob, it's up to you if you want to grow from seed or buy seedlings. Starting from seed is free, but you have to wait a couple years for the understock to develop. It's easier to buy understock but then there's the added cost. There are a variety of places to buy decent understock, which you can buy either bare-root or potted (e.g. in band pots). I would consider Brooks Tree Farm, Needlefast Evergreens, Cold Stream Farm, Itasca Nurseries, or Western Evergreen.

Alex