Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
firefightergardener

Taxus, thuja Photo Gallery 2010

Another one of the neglected conifer series from my garden, I still wanted to share some photos. Perhaps I can fix any misidentifications or inspire someone else to plant some of these unique conifers.

Taxus X media 'Bean Pole'. Narrow green spire, slow growing to 4' tall.

Taxus baccata 'Standishii'. A narrow gold spire, this sentinal was a nice rare find from the 'back rooms' at Coenosium Gardens. Bright gold most of the year.

Taxus baccata 'Silver Spire'. Similar in color to 'Standishii', this plant is similarly narrow but maybe grows a bit faster.

Thuja occidentalis 'Malonyana Aurea'. A fast growing narrow upright spire of almost orange-yellow-gold. A great plant, this specimen is out front in my gardens where it is about 5 years old, 4' tall and no sunburn at all - even with our 14-16 hours of sunlight days.

Share some if you'd like, I have some more I have to take shots of tomorrow.

-Will

Comments (15)

• kathy_il
    13 years ago

Will, where did you get your 'Malyoana Aurea'? I've been looking for one but can only find them on wholesale websites. Just bought a 'Golden Tuffet' which has a unique form/color.

Kathy

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Kathy, I've seen them for sale but only online. Mine did come from a wholesaler but there were several in catalogs I browsed this Spring included the one I've linked to. It does appear they are current OOS but check back this fall.

I believe the botanical gardens I work at also has two specimens - if you got desperate perhaps we could send one of those to you at a reasonable price.

-Will

Here is a link that might be useful: Martin's Greenhouses

• kathy_il
    13 years ago

Thanks, Will, for the link. Desperate? You sound like you understand my conifer addiction...lol!

There is just this one spot in the garden that calls for a gold like this.

Kathy

• dcsteg
    13 years ago

I picked this on up from Stanley spring of 2009. Has doubled in size. I check his on-line availability list and he is out. I would check back in a month or two as he gears up for the fall sale of plants.

Dave Thuja occidentalis 'Malonyana Aurea'.
    {{gwi:637333}}

• clement_2006
    13 years ago

Taxus baccata "Bultinck Mini"

Taxus baccata "Little Gem"

Taxus baccata "Green Diamond"

Taxus baccata "Micro"

4 dwarf and nice taxus
    Clément

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Great plants Clément, those are some VERY dwarf plants there. Dave, your Malonyana Aurea specimen looks more green then mine. Does yours get significant shade?

Thanks for sharing fellas.

Taxus baccata 'Watnong Gold'. Needs a little bit of afternoon shade, a VERY bright conifer. Spreads a bit.

Thuja occidentalis 'Hetz' Midget'. A dwarf globe, this one is one of the most common dwarf conifers available.

-Will

• longaeva54
    13 years ago

Thuja occ. Amber glow

Thuja occ. Miriam

Thuja plicata Daniellow

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

Longaeva,you showed us some nice yellow Thuja forms.
    Let me learn how you write conifer names in a good way:
    Thuja occidentalis Amber glow
    Must be written as
    Thuja occidentalis 'Amber Glow'
    Cultivar names must always be written with capital marks and between ' marks.
    If you show us nice pics but the names are not written in the right way, then everything is less valuable to me...

2 of these yellow one's are from the Netherlands:
    Thuja occidentalis 'Mirjam'
    This is a yellow greenish mutation found on a 'Danica' and doesn't burn in full sun like the 'Amber Glow' does.

Thuja plicata 'Daniellow'
    The one at your pic looks like a globose form but it will grow into an upright form.
    It's found as a yellow mutation on a 'Gelderland' which is found as a branch mutation on an 'Excelsa' by Leen Konijn from the formerly Tempelhof Nursery.

Thuja occidentalis 'Amer Glow' is a golden yellow mution from 'Danica', found in the U.K.

B.t.w. your 'Amber Glow' doesn't show it's nice golden yellow color, it looks to me that it's to long in the same container without fertilizer or it's the wrong cultivar.
    It does have the same color now as the Polish 'Selena'...

• kmanzfive laknee
    13 years ago

Taxus baccatta 'Rezek's Gold' Bright yellow year round.

• rispetto
    13 years ago

{{gwi:769287}}
    Thuja plicata Wipcord

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

Kmanzfive, that 'Rezek's Gold' is a very bright one indeed.
    I think it should be kept away from the hot afternoon sun in case of sun burning?

Rispetto, Nice plant but it should be repotted into a bigger pot and a thicker stake so the stem is completely straight again.
    'Wipcord'
    must be written as
    'Whipcord'

• kmanzfive laknee
    13 years ago

Edwin believe it or not the 'Rezeks's Gold' is facing southeast full sun all day and no damage. The little bit of needle burn which is very minor is from the winter months. The pic is from very early spring and yes, I do give it winter protection. Other than that hot blistering sun.

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thuja orientalis 'Morgan'. A fantastic plant, easily recommendable, grows maybe 4" a year, a nice golden-green in Spring and Summer and turns one of the best colors on any conifer in Winter, a great bright orange/bronze. Almost as bright as that heather!

Need some help with this one. Acquired as a gift from Larry Stanley. Something like 'Moon' in the name maybe but my memory fails me.

Also need help with this one. Orange later in winter, it's a nice golden-green most of the year. Slow grower(one of my oldest plants in the ground.

and one more... Sorry I'm so lost when it comes to Thuja.

-Will

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

Will, the "Moon" thing is 'Harvest Moon'.

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

Will, your second Thuja pic is 'Rheingold' I think.
    I didn't recognized it at first but now later I saw the juvenile foliage in the underpart of this plant.
    There are not much Thuja's which are orange in Winter either.
    Is your's standing in much shade?