Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
firefightergardener

Abies procera Photo Gallery 2010

I think my numero-uno favorite conifer species, the noble fir doesn't have a lot of cultivars but it sure has some doozies. I'm REALLY hoping to see some neat nobles from your garden, but I'll start with some from mine.

Abies procera 'Delbar's Cascade'. Starting to send up a strong leader. The branches will continue to weep and cascade from the main leader, in a way similar to Picea omorika 'Pendula Bruns'.

Abies procera 'Robenek'. A true miniature, I've had this guy in my gardens for a couple years and it seems to put out about 3/4" of tender growth.

Abies procera 'Rat Tail'. An unusual noble fir with short, green-blue needles and an unusual look that gives the plant it's name. Grows about 4-6" a year in my garden.

Abies procera 'La Graciosa'. Another weeper, this cultivar tends to grow a bit more horizontally then 'Delbar's Cascade'. One of my favorite plants.

Abies procera 'Pesek'. A squat, small dwarf that eventually forms a broad-cone.

Abies procera 'Hupp's Weeping'. A squat mound so far, will have to keep an eye on it's growth habit.

Please post ANY you'd like.

-Will

Comments (13)

• sprucebud
    13 years ago

abies procera 'Sherwoodii'

abies procera 'Obrighofen'

abies procera 'Glauca Procumbens'

abies procera 'Delbar's Cascade'

abies procera 'Blaue Hexe'

abies procera 'La Graciosa'

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Great plants Richard! Your 'Blaue Hexe' is *exploding*! Whoa. I am guessing 'Obrighofen' is unavailable where I am. It's a nice looking plant though!

Thanks for sharing.
    Here's a few more.

Abies procera 'Rick's Foxtail'. An interesting small dwarf with unusual and small needles.

Abies procera 'Silver'. A very silvery blue plant, will have to compare it years from now against 'Glauca'.

'Hupp's Compact'. A very nice, dense plant. The needles seem to shine.

Abies procera 'Glauca'. At least as I bought it three years ago. One of my oldest original conifers it continues to grow irregularly and sideways, so perhaps it's actually 'Glauca Prostrata'. Time will tell.

-Will

• gardener365
    13 years ago

Will, question:
    Where did you get Hupp's Compact from? Would you please show a larger photo.

Thx,

Dax

• sluice
    13 years ago

'Bizarro' grafted in March, and only just now starting to show signs of new growth

• gardener365
    13 years ago

The perfect scion. Nice graft.

Dax

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'll get a larger picture at some point Dax. There's some confusion to the true identitity of this plant as the Hupp's family isn't aware of any plants that they named 'Hupp's Compact'. I'd say it was 'Hupp's Dwarf' but this doesn't appear correct either. Here's an older Hupp's Dwarf, I have just a little one in my own garden.

Abies procera 'Hupp's Dwarf'. Photo taken at the garden of Jason Hupp.

'Blaue Hexe'. Such a great plant. 5-6 years old now.

'Pendula' - or so named as I purchased it.

And a couple more very rare and unique plants from Drake's Crossing Nursery:

Abies procera 'Hupp's Single Snake'. Perhaps one of the most unusual plants(not just conifers) I've ever seen, this plant grows fairly similar to a regular noble with nice, large blue-green needles. Eventually it begins to send up very straight, single leaders with NO sidebranches at all. Some pruning is occasionally necessary to give the plant it's good start but eventually you get a single stem firing up towards the heavens at a rate of about 6-12" a year. Never seen anything like it before.

A younger plant, same unusual habit.

'Delbar's Cascade'. The original plant, some 25-30 years old. An amazing sentinel, similar to picea omorika 'Pendula Bruns'.

'Hupp's Christmas Tree'. An *extremely* dense and unusual noble-fir. The branching is very tight and compact, even in old age. This is the original specimen tree and pushing 40 years old and maybe 20 feet tall.

Some more soon!

-Will

• sprucebud
    13 years ago

Fantastic pictures. Thanks, Will!
    Hupp's Christmas tree is amazing.
    Richard

• gardener365
    13 years ago

Will,

When you have a spare moment, thanks...

Great photos from Drake's; I know Jason. I wrote to him after I saw your 'Hupp's Compact' wondering what the deal was with this plant. He thought it was most-likely 'Hupp's Christmas Tree' - but had a few questions, first.

Dax

• gardener365
    13 years ago

From Jason Hupp:

After doing some research, I think that 'Hupp's Compact' is not the same as the others in the Hupp's series. Its definitely not Hupp's Dwarf or Hupps Christmas Tree. And Don told me he got this plant and Hupps Blue Prostrate from Talon Buchholz. It doesn't really grow like Hupp's Blue Prostrate. Hope that settles it.

Abies procera Hupp's Compact courtesy of Don Howse:

Dax

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Dax for that clarification. I am getting around to loading the next few hundred photos I've taken this Summer - I've just been furiously busy at work lately and with the new rock garden.

My specimen of 'Hupp's Compact' does look like that one.

• gardener365
    13 years ago

Sweet. I'll be here :-)

Later.

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Lots more work for me to do, so I'll try to finish out my collection of noble firs:

Abies procera 'Delbar's Cascade'. Full sun and appears to have really enjoyed it. How can you not like this cultivar!

'Sherwoodii'. An amazing golden-hued noble with upright, semi-weeping habit. Beauty to my eyes at least.

Closeup of the foliage. This specimen gets about 8 hours of full sun a day.

Abies procera - species. One of the many endemic plants I was happy to see growing on my little patch of earth. Probably one of the reasons I bought my house as well.

Abies procera 'Glauca'. Brilliantly blue-silver, starting to get established now.
    {{gwi:656697}}

'Blue Spiral'. Possibly 'Blue Spire', either way a narrow pillar of green-blue foliage - I believe discovered by Larry Stanley.

'??'. I'll need some help ID'ing this one. Bought as 'La Graciosa', which it clearly is NOT.

'Hupp's Christmas Tree'. A beautiful compact tree, thanks Jason!

Unknown Weeper, probably 'La Graciosa'.

'Procumbens'. Maybe synonymous with 'Prostrata'.

'Prostrata'. A nice bright-blue ground cover.

A couple tiny grafts I have left are 'Hupp's Single Snake', 'Pospisil' and 'Noble Dwarf'. I'll try and get photos on those next year.

-Will

• sprucebud
    13 years ago

Nice. Love the "Christmas Tree"!
    Richard