Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
firefightergardener

Abies pinsapo Photo Gallery 2010

One of the more warm-hardy firs, these stiff-needled trees are both highly unique(along and similar to Abies numidica). Generally narrow growth, good tollerance to heat and drought and decent cold-hardiness make them a good selection for many gardens. Please share any pictures of the species or cultivars you'd like to show.

Abies pinsapo 'WB#7' - a tiny, 'true miniature' that grows about 3/4 of an inch a year in my setting.

'Fatima'. Another very dwarf cultivar. Grows a couple inches a year with a bluish-grey caste.

'Aurea'. Burns in full sun initially, turns a nice bright gold on any needles that get enough sun. Slightly dwarf compared to the species, it grows 4-10" a year once established.

'Turek' - Another of the dwarf selections acquired from Coenosium Gardens fine conifer stock.

-Will

Comments (10)

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

Nice collection Will, but '#7' does not exist because only 4 were found by Günther Eschrich that time...
    Did you receive this one from Bob, because I also saw this one at his list...
    'Fatima' and 'Turek' are 2 of these 4 witches'brooms.

• crypper
    13 years ago

Hi Edwin,

I understand there to be seven of Eschrich's Pinsapo brooms in existance:

Atlas (#1)
    Fatima (#2)
    Marakko
    Turek (#4)

#3 and
    Soltan
    I have not yet seen.
    I have the first 5 and believe Bob Fincham may have the others in his collection.

Some others that Dennis Dodge has had listed in the past:
    Montejaque
    Ronda Mountain
    San Pedro
    Serenado seedling
    Fernando

of course there are some well-known older cultivars:
    Kelleris
    Aurea
    Glauca
    Horstmann

a small enough selection that a collector can have them all if he works hard enough. One of the things that must be considered as these new cultivars become available is how unique and garden-worthy each of them is. This process takes time.

• clement_2006
    13 years ago

Soltan are "Soltau"
    Soltau are a town arround Horstmann nursery in north Deutchand.
    Cl�ment

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

Hi Dave,
    My friend G�nther Eschrich only found 4 witches'brooms on the Abies pinsapo var. marocana:
    'Fatima' (#1)
    'Atlas' (#2)
    'Marokko' (#3)
    'Tuarek' (#4) (not 'Turek')

The numbers you're using are not correct, please change these.

'Soltau' (not 'Soltan') is a seedling selection found by the Horstmann Nursery, It's a town nearby their nursery.

Montejaque
    Ronda Mountain
    San Pedro
    Serenado seedling
    Fernando
    These are from J�rg Kohout, also from Germany.

The older cultivars are not only:
    'Kelleris'
    'Aurea'
    'Glauca'
    'Horstmann'

But also the following:
    'Pendula'
    'Fastigiata'
    'Hamondii'
    var. tazaotana

Again, '#7' does not exist, I think was a bad written '#2' ('Atlas) in the past.
    Abies pinsapo 'Atlas'
    {{gwi:615624}}
    This one looks pretty much the same as Will mentioned under '#7'.

src="http://i585.photobucket.com/albums/ss296/coniferjoy/AbiespinsapoAtlas.jpg"; border="0" alt="Abies pinsapo 'Atlas'">

Abies pinsapo 'Horstmann'
    {{gwi:615625}}

Abies pinsapo 'Aurea'

Abies pinsapo 'Fastigiata'

• crypper
    13 years ago

good, Edwin. Thank you for helping to clear the confusion on this side of the great water.

It would be helpful if you or Clement could post some pictures of the varieties found by Herr Kohout. Abies pinsapo is a very interesting species for me.

thanks,
    Dave

• clement_2006
    13 years ago

Sorry,
    I have only Abies pinsapo "Ronda Mt"

Photographied when arrived, now a poor plant.

My Abies pinsapo "Horstmann" dwarf in first time are fast growing now,it's very similar to "Glauca"
    Clement

• cryptomeria
    13 years ago

I agree with Clément. My pinsapo " Horstmann " was dwarf , too , during the first 8 years. Then it made several leaders. After 20 years the habit like a normal " Glauca".Maybe the needles a little bit shorter.

Wolfgang

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Bears watching in my garden. I bought two conifers labeled as Abies pinsapo 'Horstmann'. Actually one was named 'Horstmann Nana' which of course is not a legitamate name. Their are growing in virtually identical conditions, yet here are the two plants.

Abies pinsapo 'Horstmann'

Abies pinsapo 'Horstmann(nana)'. Clearly either 'Glauca' or it's another 'Horstmann' that was gone crazy once it was established. For what it's worth, this is one of my most established plants.

'Aurea'. My other specimen that doesn't get near as much sun. It also got covered by a gone-wild clematis vine.

-Will

• menno
    13 years ago

Thank you all for the magnificent photo's of these cultivars ! Abies pinsapo is certainly one of my favourites....
    I have only one Abies pinsapo in my garden (Abies pinsapo glauca), which is about 60cm high and is still a schrub: no leader (yet).

About the cultivar names. I found a few more on the following page:
    http://members.tripod.com/~hatch_l/abiepin3.html

Abies pinsapo 'Clarke'
    Abies pinsapo 'Kilmacurraugh'
    Abies pinsapo 'Pygmaea'
    Abies pinsapo 'Pyramidata' ('Pyramidalis Compacta')
    Abies pinsapo 'Quicksilver'
    Abies pinsapo 'San Diego Creeper'
    Abies pinsapo 'Variegata' ('Foliis Variegatus'?)
    and Abies pinsapo 'Weeping Blue' ('Pendula Glauca'?)
    weren't mentioned.
    Some of these names are very old and perhaps don't exist anymore?

What about Abies numidica (Algerian fir)? I think the cultivars of this conifer can be counted on one hand......

• bamboo_nuts
    7 years ago

Hi Will,

I found this old post and I love your miniature spanish firs. You don't mind tell me where the source for those little guys is?

Thanks

John N.

Sponsored
Ngrained Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Custom Woodworking, Décor, and More in Franklin County