Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
firefightergardener

Abies procera photo gallery 2011(Noble Fir)

I think my favorite species. Plush almost teal colored needles. Natural specimens are often perfectly symmetrical at a younger age. Use this thread for posting any noble fir photos you'd like. Wild specimens, urban plantings, cultivars, whatever you'd like. I'll kick it off with a plant that SHOULD deserve much more attention.

Abies procera 'Hupp's Christmas Tree'. A very cool intermediate upright. Beautifully colored, very dense, great branch structure and maybe half the growth rate of the normal species. A young tree in my gardens.

And the epic original plant at Drakes Crossing Nursery(owned and operated by the Hupp family). ~40 years old, ~20 feet tall and STILL so dense.

Long live this thread, or so I hope!

-Will

Here is a link that might be useful: Abies procera photo gallery 2010

Comments (30)

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I posted this in the wrong forum apparently. Hopefully a moderator can shuffle this to the gallery section.

Another cultivar to force a move!

Abies procera 'La Graciosa'. A weeping cultivar that grows in variable ways, sometimes sideways, sometimes upright and sometimes it weeps hard until a leader forms. This specimen is(was?) at Coenosium Gardens.

-Will

• Ament
    12 years ago

Will that one between buildings is just astoundingly large. Impressive! I'm in awe! Those are the size trees that make me want to walk up and hug the trunk because they are so enormous! lol I know... I know! Crazy isn't it? :D

~Tina

• monkeytreeboy15
    12 years ago

That 'La Graciosa' is awesome, Will. I'm gonna try to get one this fall!

Abies procera 'Blaue Hexe' ('Blue Witch')

Abies procera 'Robenek' RIP (terribly root-bound never got established & developed advantageous roots)
    {{gwi:682434}}

-Sam

• rispetto
    12 years ago

{{gwi:837898}}
    Preziosa - is it really abies procera?

{{gwi:837899}}
    WB

{{gwi:837901}}
    Glauca

{{gwi:837903}}
    Rattail or Rat Tail

{{gwi:837905}}
    Pesek

• sprucebud
    12 years ago

Abies procera 'Hupp's Christmas Tree'. Yours looks very promising. A very nice selection.
    Richard

• botann
    12 years ago

Here's one of mine. It's been so long ago that I planted it, I don't even know where I got it. Picture taken Aug. 2010.

{{gwi:837907}}
    Abies lasiocarpa in foreground.
    Mike

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sam, does that mean you lost that 'Robenek'? What a shame, because yours was really coming alive with color.

'Robenek'. I'd be very sad if I lost my specimen. One of the smallest nobles.

'Glauca Prostrata'. A cultivarient of Abies procera 'Glauca', this is a specimen taken from a side branch of 'Glauca' and not staked. Eventually it may form a leader(which I will remove). A lovely strong silver-blue.

'Pesek'. Bob Fincham notes that this plant eventually puts on some strong growth later in life, often growing six inches a year or more on it's terminal branch. This specimen is in moderate-shade and still shows healthy, beautiful color.

• monkeytreeboy15
    12 years ago

Yes, Will, sadly my 'Robenek' passed away this summer when the heat in combination with the lacking root system did it in. I tried in vain to save it by transplanting it into a pot with root tone to stimulate some root growth, however.

-Sam

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    12 years ago

The only procera I've been able to keep alive more than a year.

'Hupp's Dwarf'

tj

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Why do you have problems TJ? Is it the cold and if so, what temps do you see annually for lows? I'm surprised of noble cultivars that you can keep that little guy alive, it's a tiny thing.

Here's my little guy, maybe 4 years old.
    Abies procera 'Hupp's Dwarf'

And an older specimen at the Hupp's residence.

Another great plant introduced by Drakes Crossing Nursery is Abies procera 'Delbar's Cascade'. A strongly weeping cultivar that eventually forms a leader, but the side branches still weep down, it was named after DELbert and BARbara Hupp, thus DELBAR. The original tree towers above the Hupp's house, perhaps twenty feet tall and but a few feet wide. It is sometimes sold under the name 'Hupp's Weeping'. This is one of my favorite plants, similar to Picea omorika 'Pendula Bruns', in that in eventually becomes living art, a kink or two on the way skyward.

The original, epic plant.

My largest specimen.

A few examples of what it may do in it's young years.

Abies procera 'Hupp's Compact'. Different clearly then 'Hupp's Dwarf', a nice teal-blue and faster growing.

Abies procera 'Glauca'. One of the strongest silver/blue you'll see on any plant. Now forming an upright leader, which I guess means it's gone from being 'Glauca Prostrata' to 'Glauca'.

'Silver'. Selected for it's color, you'll have to be the judge whether it's more silver or a better color then 'Glauca'. I think it's a standard pyramid like the species.

Speaking of the species. Each year I enjoy this specimen more and more often, at the top of my driveway, it's blue cones are visible more years then not. Probably 30 feet tall and 20 years old.

I hope a moderator moves this over instead of sending it off into cyberspace never to be seen again!

I also hope Clement, Edwin, Steven, Henk, Sprucebud et. all join in with some of those amazing cultivars from abroad.

-Will

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    12 years ago

Will- we are marginal (at best) for procera. Some of mine died over summer, some in winter. The last two winters had ample snow during the coldest parts and that helped my little guy survive. Even then, I don't think we dropped below -17F (-27C) during that time which helped as well. Our record low is -26F (-32C) hit most recently in 1996.

tj

• whaas_5a
    12 years ago

Tom, are you successfully growing most other Abies species?
    I'm under the impression that Abies in general doesn't perform well around here due to the soil type. The amount of snow we receive keeps the soil wet for quite some time in early spring so the roots essentially rot out.

• Cher
    12 years ago

Beautiful specimens being shown here. Hopefully they don't move this thread anywhere. If it would have been elsewhere I would have missed it entirely. Maybe don't put the word gallery in the posts would help keep it here and maybe also not have too many galleries posted at once would not make someone complain.
    Cher

• severnside
    12 years ago

Abies procera 'Blaue Hexe'

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    12 years ago

@ the other Will- I have a few Abies koreana, concolor and lasciocarpa that seem trouble free. I also have an alba 'Hedge' and borisii-regis (or whatever its called today) 'Franke' doing fine. My
    nordmanniana 'Golden Spreader' struggles through winter and is taking its time gaining any size.

tj

• henksgarden
    12 years ago

Abies procera Sherwoodii cones
    {{gwi:653012}}
    Abies procera Sherwoodii

I make tomorrow more photo's in my garden.

Henk.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    12 years ago

Henk, that cone picture is a work of art.

tj

• monkeytreeboy15
    12 years ago

Those chickens in your second picture are also impressive, Henk. ;-)

-Sam

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow, Henk, that is awesome. How large are the cones? 20 centimeters?? And how old is that specimen if you recall?

A younger specimen.
    Abies procera 'Sherwoodii'

'Blaue Hexe'. My favorite conifer, now in it's fourth year in the ground and really coming into it's own.

'Rat'. Discovered at Drake's Crossing Nursery many years ago.

The original tree I believe. Very old.

Abies procera 'Danish Column'. Selected from a neighbors tree that was cut down, Jason Hupp took many grafts years ago and is now offering this new columnar variety. The seed is from Denmark, which have a bluer and slower more compact habit.

Closeup.

Recently visiting with Jason Hupp, we exchanged some cool rarities and he offered to let me grow two miniature/dwarf nobles under observation. He discovered them as a witch's broom on a noble in the field which appeared to have a witch's broom on top of another witch's broom. The bottom broom was faster growing, though still very dwarf while the top was even slower growing.

Here is the original broom(s).

Abies procera [Tolines Farm WB(top)]. If the plant generates enough interest and proves worthy of production, Jason may release it at a future date.

Abies procera [Tolines Farm WB(bottom)]

Abies procera 'Pendula'. Possible that it is 'Delbar's Cascade' or 'La Graciosa'(less likely), though the nursery owner said it was neither, so probably just an unnamed weeping selection.

Another unknown weeper.

-Will

• Ament
    12 years ago

Good Golly those cones are enormous! Love the picture Henk.

Will, love the 'Blaue Hexe' and what is the orangish flower laying on the ground to the left?

~Tina

• botann
    12 years ago

Looks like a Dahlia.
    I like em'.
    So do the slugs.
    Mike

• toucanjoe
    12 years ago

I have lost 3 Abies porcera 'Blau Hexe' This plant will not stand hardly any heat,so i am giving up on Procera here in S.E Pa. Joe

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Some more to share.

Abies procera 'Rick's Foxtail'. A strange needled dwarf form. Grew maybe a few inches the last two years.

A true rarity in the species, a dwarf weeping variety, at Jason Hupp's garden.

Abies procera 'La Graciosa', staked upright.

'Pospisil'. Second attempt, it's very tiny and hard to get grafts to start.

'Noble's Dwarf'. A small little guy but promising.

Abies procera 'Danish Column'. An older specimen.

'Hupp's Christmas Tree'. I recently bought several liners of this plant because at least for me, every time I see it, I move it up my top conifers list. I love it's color contrasts and form.

'Hupp's Single Snake'. A true oddity, and another discovery by the Hupp's family. Eventually this plant's character comes forth as similarly to other 'snake' cultivars, these specimens shoot largely singular branching mutations of considerable length. Unlike most other snake varieties, these often head straight skywards, sans staking. A mutant tree for sure, it does take some years for this habit to take shape but it's cool and unusual when it does.
    My little guy.

A cool specimen at the Hupp's Garden.

'Hupp's Blue'. A nice blue variety, time will tell how it compares to the blue standards of 'Glauca'. My young specimen is not thrilled in it's location.

More soon,
    -Will

• henksgarden
    12 years ago

More procera's in my garden.

Abies procera Jeddeloh

Abies procera Hupp's Dwarf

Abies procera Procumbens

Abies procera Blaue Hexe

Abies procera Windsor

Abies procera Delbar Cascade

Abies procera Rat Tail

Henk.

• monkeytreeboy15
    12 years ago

Hey, Will. You interested in trading for one of your Abies procera 'Hupp's Christmas Tree'?
    I have a couple things you might like; just let me know! :)
    Thanks

-Sam

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sure Sam, of course. Now I have the two larger ones that I'd be more loathe to dig up but I have six newer grafts from Jason that already have great character. I'd just give you one of those, I'm thrilled to see such a young conifer enthusiast. A visit by each of us is overdue, maybe we can set something up in Spring.

Henk! Awesome plants and photos. Images like yours literally causes people to go out and buy plants. Thanks for adding them. I have a few more to share.

Abies procera 'Pendula'. Despite considerable shade and loathing to be staked, it looks pretty healthy. I'd like to get it all the way to the eaves of my house.

'Blue Spire'. A narrow, 'winding'? selection from Larry Stanley. I believe it might have been named 'Blue Spiral', I need to find out for sure.

Abies procera 'Hupp's Christmas Tree'. This can be your plant Sam(!)

At Jason Hupp's gardens and nursery, he showed me some of his recent field selections that he has been monitoring for a few years. Often he will just throw them away if/when they don't show signs of being interesting or garden worthy. Being an Abies procera nut and a collector, I was thrilled to take home four Abies procera seedlings showing irregular habits. Maybe dwarves, maybe not, maybe neat and maybe ordinary. Time will tell and I am happy to grow them in my gardens.

Abies procera [Hupp's Seedling#4]

Abies procera [Hupp's Seedling #1]

Abies procera [Hupp's Seedling #3]

Abies procera [Hupp's Seedling #2]

I'll report these seedlings every year or two so Jason(and anyone else) can decide if they are interested).

Another plant from Jason Hupp that he recently found showing some nice variegation. Must be fun to walk amongst the millions of noble firs and look for irregularities!

-Will

• whaas_5a
    12 years ago

I don't know all those seedlings look quite nice to me!

• monkeytreeboy15
    12 years ago

Great, Will!
    I look forward to seeing your already-extensive collection that is still growing (no pun intended)!

-Sam

• henksgarden
    12 years ago

Hello will

very nice seedlings and I like that variegated plant

thanks

I hope to visit your garden this winter

Henk.