Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dcsteg

What is your favorite conifer purchased this year?

12 years ago

With the year winding down and most new acquisitions in the ground let's get involved with this thread.

Of all the additions you have added what is the one that is a cut above the rest?

Give your reasons--rarity, unusual color, growing characteristics, focal point anchor plant...and so forth.

I'll start with Picea omorika 'de Ruyter'.

In my opinion one of the most unusual Picea omorika cultivars. Its irregular sculptural habit give this slow-growing cultivar a unique character and make it an excellent excellent focal point conifer for the small garden. Individual shoots display either blue or green needles, both on the same plant.

Not rare in the trade but unique in its own right.

Dave

{{gwi:851028}}

Foliage.

{{gwi:851032}}

Comments (32)

• 12 years ago

Picea abies 'Wingle's Weeper'
    {{gwi:762965}}

• 12 years ago

My favorite would be this pinus banksania 'Uncle Foggy'. I've been looking for this culitvar for years and had my favorite nursery order it in from Iseli. Have always loved it's wild undulating growth and toughness.

• 12 years ago

Dave when I saw your title, I immediately thought of 'de Ruyter', so I'm going to be a copycat and say the same thing. Mine had burnt off buds on the leader when I got it, but since there were no others and I liked it so much, I still picked it up. Here's how it looked in its new spot when I put it in.

Dan

• PRO
    12 years ago

hands down, my favorite acquisition for 2011 is Picea abies 'Anita's Golden Cloak.' The reason is obvious. I have the first one, and at the moment, I know the whereabouts of all of her babies.

~Dave

• 12 years ago

Gorgeous plant ~Dave!!! I can see why it was an easy decision. I'm sure if you ever decide to sell or trade the "babies", they'll go like hotcakes :)

Dan

• 12 years ago

Dave, can i assume that 'Anita's Golden Cloak' isn't one of Bob Fincham's new introductions ? ..nice plant by the way.

• 12 years ago

In the interest of correctness the cultivar name should be spelled 'De Ruyter'.

Dave

• PRO
    12 years ago

Hi Blue. 'Anita's Golden Cloak' isn't one of Bob's introductions, although it is a result of his work in crossing Acrocona and Gold Drift. He named and is propogating and selling his favorite 5-6, and is selling the others.

The only other named cultivars I'm aware of right now are 'Anita's Golden Cloak,' and 'Catherine's Golden Heart,' which is in Will the Firefighter's garden.

• 12 years ago

Well, I only added one conifer to my small collection this year -
    a nice compact Picea abies 'Little Gem.'

Josh

• 12 years ago

Of the 96 (!!) conifers I bought this year, my favorite is Picea sitchensis 'Bentham's Sunlight'. I read The Golden Spruce by John Vaillant over the winter and was inspired to buy the plant that is a descendant of the original tree. Although its a zone 6 in my zone 4, I plan to put it under a rose cone for the winter and throw extra snow over the top.

-Matt

P.S. Dan, I think we are all long overdue for a photo tour of your garden. Your design sense is second to none and your pictures serve as an inspiration for my own garden.

• 12 years ago

I have to add this one also.

Why I wanted it is self-explanatory.

Dave

Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Melody'.
    {{gwi:667341}}

• 12 years ago

Might as well do the top 3!

Picea omorika 'Peve Tijn'
    {{gwi:465650}}

Picea engelmannii 'Blue Magoo'
    {{gwi:616938}}

• 12 years ago

That's one great looking Picea engelmannii 'Blue Magoo'! I have that on the top of my 2012 spring list.

Anyhow, so far my favorite and most expensive would be Pinus strobus 'Angel Falls'

{{gwi:851044}}

• 12 years ago

Considered an entry-level conifer: Check.

Relatively common in the nursery trade: Check.

Destined to be the visual anchor of my entryway landscape bed: Check.

Picea glauca 'Pendula'...a classic.

• 12 years ago

I feel the same way. I ended up getting two of them this year. Partly because one was so so cheap at the end of the year. Its so straight and narrow its perfect.

• 12 years ago

GE, how cold hardy is Anita's Golden Cloak? It sure is nice.

I want an Angel's Falls so bad. I think it is stunning. I happened to see a more mature AF's this summer and fell in love with it.

Blue Magoo is beautiful. Does it grow into a pyramidal xmas tree shape?

I wish I could grow Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Melody'. I just don't think I could get that one to grow up here. I guess perhaps I could grow it in a hypertufa pot.

I bet Picea sitchensis 'Bentham's Sunlight' will be a stunning tree once it matures. Please keep me informed if it does well in your zone.

• 12 years ago

Pseudotsuga menziesii 'Dandy Doug'. It has such a personality from a little creature standing up to a Japanese wave. In a fire it's would be the one I'd grab. (Talking of which where's Firefighter?) Since repotted to correct mix.

• 12 years ago

lady,

Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Melody'. Buchholz says it good to Zone 3. I would call them to see what they base that on. Everybody else Zone 4-5.

Pinus strobus 'Angel Falls' good to Zone 3.

I update my Photobucket album about this time every year. I have had this one for 6 years and discovered it was not in the album.

Taken today. I hope this one will curl your toes enough to to make it a reality your garden next year.

Dave

{{gwi:851050}}

• 12 years ago

Dave - Locally I've observed a large percentage of weeping white pine being infested with white pine adelgid. Are you experiencing any of that with your plants and if so - how do you treat?

Marshall

• 12 years ago

meant to write pine bark adelgid instead of white pine adelgid

Marshall

• 12 years ago

Marshall,

Pine bark adelgid does not seem to be an issue here in Kansas City area.

The heat/drought and humidity have taken its toll on Pinus strobus for the last two years. Out of 10 I had I have two left. The 'Angel Falls' is one of them.

Dave

• 12 years ago

Marshall,

I might add for the last two years I have all my conifers treated professionally by a certified arborist.

Early April for scale... etc.

Late May for all other infestations aka Bagworms etc.

I am now totally free from dealing with all these diseases/insect infestations I used to marginally treat. Also my dollar outlay went down considerably eliminating the purchase of expensive nursery products to treat various issues.

When you have as many plants as I do at some point it becomes impractical to do it yourself. It took me a few years to realize that. I finally got the message when my sprayer wouldn't reach the top of my larger trees.

If I remember right I did a thread on this subject last April/May. Photos are now probably erased.

Dave

• 12 years ago

Dave, Oh for BEAUTIFUL. I love your Angel Falls. I do have to get that one for SURE. Does it need to be staked up until you want it to begin weeping down? That is really a nice looking plant.

Thanks for the information regarding Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Melody'. That is a really different looking plant.

Severnside your Pseudotsuga menziesii 'Dandy Doug' does look like a little creature standing and reaching out with its little arms. LOL Adorable.

I can see it is not a good idea for me to see everyone's photos of all these conifers. I'm weak and want them all. LOL

• 12 years ago

I just love the Picea engelmannii 'Blue Magoo'!

I only purchased two, finally got the blue spruce while I was in California. It currently sits in a pot out on the deck. My Tanima No Yuki is my favorite. =) You've all seen it.

~Tina

• PRO
    12 years ago

Hey, Lady L, check your email. :-)

~Dave

• PRO
    12 years ago

Picea abies Medusa

Metasequoia g. North Light

The foliage on North Light is bizarre as it unfolds!
    john

• 12 years ago

That's cool John.

My only purchase:
    Pinus uncinata 'Baby'
    {{gwi:695577}}

Dax

• 12 years ago

John, you've a very nice 'North Light'...
    This one is found by my German Friend Winfried Schirrmann and he found it as a witches' broom on a Metasequoia glypt. 'White Spot' and named it 'Schirrmann's Nordlicht'.
    It was Talon Buchholz who renamed it in 'North Light' but this is illegitimate!
    Please rename it back into the right the original cultivar name which is 'Schirrmann's Nordlicht'.
    Thanks in advance!

• 12 years ago

For a singular annual purchase that 'Baby' is a very fine choice.

• 12 years ago

Oh your Dandy Doug is a frosty beverage. The story goes I looked thru Coenosium Gardens offerings and that was the only plant being offered I didn't already have access to scionwood to, and, I'm a yearly purchaser from Bob Fincham w/o exception.

Dax

• 12 years ago

My favorite conifer I bought this year would be tough to decide on. I bought 2 and I love them both. Pinus Nigra and Picea Pungens.

• 12 years ago

I hear ya Aspen. There's nothing wrong with a seedling.

Dax