IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Queensland Kauri - what a tree for Southern Cali..................

trioderob

show a tree that grows really well and is epic in scope for southern Cal.

the "Queensland KAURI"

Saw it at the Huntington Garden in L.A. over the weekend.

maybe the most impressive tree I have ever seen along the coastal area .

any one growing it here ?

any of you Blokes down under want to talk about it ?

ag-ro06.jpg

Edited by trioderob

that is impressive. not many of us have yards big enough to accommodate a tree that size, unfortunately.

any idea of water requirements? I am gonna guess: "EPIC!"

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

It is a big tree for sure, but when you think about it, it does not take up much real estate. All its mass is way up in the air!

I wish they were more available here in SoFla but nobody has them. I would have to take cuttings from Montgomery.

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

the diameter at the base looks like its at least 2 meters. thats a lot of real estate in my yard.

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Two meters wide is the average Ligustrum tree or maybe a nice Tibouchina. Plenty of room for a 100' tall tree.

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Street trees on Paseo Dr in Cerritos, CA.

DSC05173.jpg

DSC05185.jpg

DSC05181.jpg

DSC05180.jpg

DSC05178.jpg

I've grown several from cuttings of these trees, but this is a very slow process. Got to root terminals of watersprouts, which root slowly but fairly easily. Then, they spend several years growing haphazardly before finally sending up a vigorous shoot from the roots which will grow much more vigorously. Probably easier from fresh seed if you can get it. I've tried hundreds of seeds from CA trees but never gotten germination. Supposedly need to get seed from intact cones.

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

A few more A. robusta from Cal Poly Pomona, now axed. :rage: They had about ten really nice ones.

Agathisrobusta_grove-001.jpg

DSC00002.jpg

Cone litter after a particularly windy day:

Agathisrobusta_conelitter2.jpg

Agathisrobusta_conelitter3.jpg

And an unidentified Agathis species at another part of the campus, also axed for even more "progress" :rage: :rage: . Sorry for the windy blur, but the last known pic of this tree:

Agathisspecies_OHUnit2.jpg

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

Here in their home range they are not commonly cultivated due to their massive size, you do see them mainly in botanical gardens and larger public gardens. They occur in rainforest from the tropics/subtropics and despite being a rainforest tree they do show great drought resistance once established........ Not too many of the massive ones can be seen these days in their natural habitat due to most being logged out in the early part of the 20th century.

Andrew,
Airlie Beach, Whitsundays

Tropical Queensland

They are used in street and park plantings here. Surprisingly my neighbour has two in his garden. Cones can be a problem too, apparently. I've got one in a pot that I haven't watered in a couple of years...it is not bothered at all...

Young trees down the median at Southbank in Brisbane

post-42-0-78265700-1384954949_thumb.jpg

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

DSC05173.jpg

DSC05185.jpg

DSC05181.jpg

DSC05180.jpg

DSC05178.jpg

I've grown several from cuttings of these trees, but this is a very slow process. Got to root terminals of watersprouts, which root slowly but fairly easily. Then, they spend several years growing haphazardly before finally sending up a vigorous shoot from the roots which will grow much more vigorously. Probably easier from fresh seed if you can get it. I've tried hundreds of seeds from CA trees but never gotten germination. Supposedly need to get seed from intact cones.

How old would you say those street trees are?

- Eric Arneson

lan-backyard-design-copy1.jpg

DSC05173.jpg

DSC05185.jpg

DSC05181.jpg

DSC05180.jpg

DSC05178.jpg

How old would you say those street trees are?

I'm guessing that tract was probably built late 60s to early 70s.

_____

We have a couple growing well here. The biggest is about 20ft tall now. From the photos they seem to be more attractive as younger trees with fuller crowns.

In fact we are growing several Agathis species and they are all nice trees.

There is a nice collection of Agathis at Montgomery in MIami.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Here is one I saw down in Adelaide a few months ago.The photo doesn't do it justice, this tree was huge.

post-42-0-51385200-1385070055_thumb.jpg

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

I've got the regular Kauri growing wild on my property, but I have to admit it's not my favourite one ( There are three local species)

Agathis atropurpurea is my favourite because it has a stunning blue/purple trunk. google it :)

www.sheoakridge.com
Our private nature reserve in Far North Queensland, Australia.
Too much rain in the Wet season and not enough in the Dry. At least we never get frost.

the Huntington has several of these, too, shown off in the middle of some of their expansive lawns (two shots below). Third tree is the San Diego botanical gardens. Last three are all younger trees of different species... not sure how big they get: Agathis australis, Huntington, Agathis microstachya, Huntington, and Agathis palmersonii in Hawaii

post-426-0-99004500-1385485466_thumb.jpg

post-426-0-97847300-1385485533_thumb.jpg

post-426-0-69734400-1385485574_thumb.jpg

post-426-0-24930600-1385485626_thumb.jpg

post-426-0-04270600-1385485650_thumb.jpg

post-426-0-62425900-1385485719_thumb.jpg

Here is another photo to give you an idea of how big these get

800px-StateLibQld_1_101056.jpg

I have seen local mahogany bigger than that...

• Like 1

we are talking southern California in this thread.

3 hour drive from me we have the worlds largest tree

sequoia1.jpg

Edited by trioderob

sequoia1.jpg

Ok, we don't have those locally--got me there.

sequoia1.jpg

Ok, we don't have those locally--got me there... but I thought we were talking Southern California?

Actually, we do have redwoods in South Florida. The one in the Deerfield Beach Arboretum is only a few (thousand) years younger than the one Rob showed.

• Like 1

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Actually, we do have redwoods in South Florida. The one in the Deerfield Beach Arboretum is only a few (thousand) years younger than the one Rob showed.

Really? I heard they don't grow for us... anyone else hear of Redwoods? Jerry, that's not what I meant, but if true, very cool still.

They can grow here but will not thrive here. The one in Deerfield is about 7 feet tall and has not grown taller in a few years. I think many of the Agathis will grow well here, were it not for hurricanes.

• Like 1

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

the Huntington has several of these, too, shown off in the middle of some of their expansive lawns (two shots below). Third tree is the San Diego botanical gardens. Last three are all younger trees of different species... not sure how big they get: Agathis australis, Huntington, Agathis microstachya, Huntington, and Agathis palmersonii in Hawaii

Thanks for pics of the latter three. The late unidentified tree at Cal Poly was rumored to be A. microstachya, but never confirmed.

A pair of A. australis were at Fullerton Arboretum (via Strybing?) for a couple of years, but succumbed due to poor drainage. It's a southern (New Zealand) species that is probably better in NorCal.

• Like 1

_____

They can grow here but will not thrive here. The one in Deerfield is about 7 feet tall and has not grown taller in a few years. I think many of the Agathis will grow well here, were it not for hurricanes.

When happy, they can grow six feet a year. Only seven feet tall for the last few years sounds like it's not a long term plant...

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Planting Agathis robusta along the roads of Brisbane, Australia is going to create either serious traffic accidents or simply much work for arborists who will have to remove the cones before they drop. I spoke to Brisbane City Council arborists who showed no concern despite EPA signs at Fraser Island warning death could result from being hit by a green unbroken cone, which are often chewed-off green by Cockatoo's.

Planting Agathis robusta along the roads of Brisbane, Australia is going to create either serious traffic accidents or simply much work for arborists who will have to remove the cones before they drop. I spoke to Brisbane City Council arborists who showed no concern despite EPA signs at Fraser Island warning death could result from being hit by a green unbroken cone, which are often chewed-off green by Cockatoo's.

In CA, Agathis cones almost always shatter before dropping and almost never see them green.

They're not nearly as problematic as cones of Araucaria bidwillii; those are typically scheduled for removal in municipal scenarios.

_____

• 10 years later...

I recently went to the Huntington to admire some of these stunners. Anyone have seeds or cuttings to share, or know of a source? Thank you.

This is for Geraldo:

4A33A603-7C5A-4AAB-B8AB-E504BBC31F35.jpeg

What you look for is what is looking

I'll have to go visit some bigguns in the wild and get some photos.