Does anyone else think this animal is extinct?

Glaucous Macaw
1686248638572.png

The Glaucous Macaw is closely related to Indigo Macaw (A. leari) and the Hyacinth Macaw (A. hyacinthinus). The characteristics of the Glaucous Macaw is that it has turquoise blue feathers with a greyish head. The Glaucous Macaw was commonly found in subtropical forests with cliffs and savannahs with palm trees. They nested on these cliffs and on steep banks and on occasion in tree cavities.

When I was looking which zoos had Indigo Macaws on zooinstitutes.com, I came across the one in Pairi Daiza, Belgium (top right). On the left image, it shows you what each blue macaw of the Anodorhynchus genus looks like.
Is it just me or does the Indigo macaw on the right look similar to the stuffed Glaucous Macaw specimen on the bottom?

1686248679860.png
1686248755454.png

1686249912336.png

I had a chat with @DarthQuell in this thread about the Glaucous Macaw.

I came across this image just today & it looks like the Lear's Macaw is just all blue without any grey or green tinges on it.
1690717884575.png

If this macaw is still alive, it would be great if it was added in the game once we get aviary birds.
1686249625638.png

Last edited:
For me, it looks just like a Lear's macaw, which Pairi Daiza actually keeps. As the origin of these animals is well known in Europe, I belive it's unlikely to be a Glaucous.
Also, specially when talking about taxidermies as they tend to loose their colours, you can't simply go with coloration to describe a species.

For me, it looks just like a Lear's macaw, which Pairi Daiza actually keeps. As the origin of these animals is well known in Europe, I belive it's unlikely to be a Glaucous.
Also, specially when talking about taxidermies as they tend to loose their colours, you can't simply go with coloration to describe a species.
OK, but looks can be decieving.

Last edited:
Striking Resemblance. I doubt it is one but it really looks a lot like a Glaucous Macaw. I doubt that it is one but maybe some genetic testing should be done with that Specimen. Afterall they probably went extinct in the 60s but Macaws can reach Ages between 80 and 110 so it might be possible that at least one is still out there

2 additional Pictures of the Species
1686552056766.png

Incredible (Picture is too big to directly put it in here)

It turns out that Lear's Macaw might sometimes also have a similar Color but maybe we're lucky with this one

Edit: damn. Wanted to look for Contact Data of Harry Sissen (the Guy that was mentioned in the News Article I've linked) and it turns out he smuggled and illegally sold multiple Lear's Macaws. Thought maybe he knows if the Bird from the Article is still in the Zoo he got it from and if it's still alive, there might be a Possibility for both Individuals to meet in Case that they are indeed Glaucous Macaws😞

Last edited:
Striking Resemblance. I doubt it is one but it really looks a lot like a Glaucous Macaw. I doubt that it is one but maybe some genetic testing should be done with that Specimen. After all they probably went extinct in the 60s but Macaws can reach Ages between 80 and 110 so it might be possible that at least one is still out there

2 additional Pictures of the Species
View attachment 358386
I know, right?
Edit: damn. Wanted to look for Contact Data of Harry Sissen (the Guy that was mentioned in the News Article I've linked) and it turns out he smuggled and illegally sold multiple Lear's Macaws. Thought maybe he knows if the Bird from the Article is still in the Zoo he got it from and if it's still alive, there might be a Possibility for both Individuals to meet in Case that they are indeed Glaucous Macaws😞
Are you saying that the macaw on the article is actually an Indigo Macaw?

Maybe but at least 2 Ornithologists think it might be a Glaucous Macaw and it would be nice to do some genetic testing on both Individuals to find out which Species they belong to. I'd love it to see the Species being rediscovered and maybe saved that Way
I might think of going to Paira Daiza in the Winter & ask one of the keepers to do some genetic testing on the macaw.

Top Bottom